Thursday, August 1, 2013

Going Back to Our Roots



This past December 24, 2012, I celebrated the 25th anniversary of my ordination to the Catholic priesthood.  I have seen this year, until December 24, 2013, as a celebration of this benchmark in my journey towards eternal life.  It is a year to give thanks to God for the awesome gift of the priesthood, to reflect on how I can be a better priest, and to take stock for the years to come.  At the same time, my Dad will be celebrating his 80th birthday this coming November 22.  The picture below is me offering Mass, this past June, at Saint Mary Major in Rome.  I said my first Mass at the same basilica on December 25, 1987.



In order to mark these two special occasions, last summer I suggested to my parents that we save up our personal money and make a trip to Sicily to visit our family roots, go through any historical documentation that we can find,  and see if we can find any cousins.  



My Dad's father left a little farming village called Castiglione di Sicilia when he was only 17 years old.  Vincenzo arrived to Ellis Island on May 25, 1921.  His name was changed to James.  He was processed through Ellis Island and went directly to Stamford, CT where he lived until he and my grandmother, Angelina Rice of Hamilton,  New Jersey,  retired to Florida.  

My grandfather was a tailor.  Upon arriving to Stamford, he found immediate employment and within three years he owned his own tailor shop. 

My Mom's grandparents left Termini Imerese when they were very young.  They were married in Sicily and they also settled in Stamford, CT.  My great-grandmother was already deceased before I was born and my great-grandfather passed away when I was around 3 or 4 years old. 



My great-grandfather was also known for his work ethic.  He grew vegetables and fruit in his backyard.  With a pushcart, typical of years gone by, he sold his produce in his neighborhood.  Before long, he owned three homes.  The rooms were rented out at an affordable rate to his children, grandchildren and relatives so that everyone would have a nice place to live.   

No one to my knowledge has written out a complete history of either side of our family, so during our trip to Sicily we will attempt to fill in the missing pieces.  

This blog is a simple way to allow family and friends to enjoy this rather fascinating trip back to Sicily.  I will do my best to document our journey, beginning Monday, August 4th, with a series of pictures. 


1 comment:

  1. Have a happy time all of you - absolutely love the blog idea and the video that I just watched. I will be following you day by day and I have bookmarked the blog. You are s very lucky to be going all together at this time of your lives. And Happy Birthday Sal - I'm still ahead of you by a couple of years!

    Go with God +

    Jamie

    PS Thanks to dear Father James for his assistance in making my little comment.

    ReplyDelete